Every successful professional in the business world is a goal setter and achiever! Effectively setting goals can provide a source of motivation for individuals in search of a career and those wanting to advance within their career. Every study on this subject tells us that individuals who believe in, and are confident in, their goals are much more likely to achieve them. Committing some of your time to create a professional development plan and establish goals will allow you to build a foundation upon which you can create future opportunities for yourself. Try implementing the following tips to get started:
1. Keep your goals realistic and attainable: Although it is good to have high standards for yourself and intentions to challenge yourself, setting your goals too far out of your reach can eventually become discouraging. Goals should be set with the intention to slightly stretch your limits and support your efforts and desire to achieve more.
2. Create specific and timely goals: Goals should be straightforward and focus on what you want to achieve. Being specific will help focus your efforts and clearly define what you are going to do. Set a timeframe in which you want to achieve your goal. Putting an end point deadline on your goal gives you a clear target to work towards.
3. Identify goals that are important to you: Analyze your values, interests and skills. What is it that you ultimately want to achieve and why? Your motivation to go further and accomplish goals will come from things that are significant in your life and important to you.
4. Review and reassess your previous goals: Every few months or at least once a year take some time to look over your goals. What have I accomplished? What needs more attention? How close am I to achieving my goal? Do not get discouraged if you are not on track to achieve a goal. Review the specifics and reassess your plan to meet that goal.
5. Celebrate your achievements: Set the bar high enough for a satisfying achievement! You may not always get praise from others for your accomplishments, but make sure to acknowledge your own success. Celebrating your achievements creates motivation and inspiration to accomplish even more.
The ability to reach your highest potential and stretch beyond your normal self is never out of reach. Effective goal setting will help motivate you to ensure your success. The feeling you get when you achieve that success will help you to remain inspired and build a habit of success. As you accomplish your goals you will develop the attitude, ability and skills that allow you to achieve more.