Now that the holiday season has ended, many of us are returning back to work relaxed and replenished after taking time off. This may make it difficult for some employees to transition back into their daily tasks. Now is a good time to reinforce productivity and motivation with your employees. Here are a few tips to get your team to hit the ground running this year.
- Touch base right away: Block out some time to schedule a staff meeting shortly after the New Year to review, revisit and revise your team’s priorities.
- Help prioritize: While it is always ideal to start the year with full speed ahead, not all employees will settle back into their daily work routine their first day back. If necessary, encourage them to break their workload into small, manageable pieces until they have time to get caught up on all of their tasks.
- Set milestones: Create a plan for a successful year. Help your team understand the importance of achieving these milestones both as individuals and as a team.
- Monitor progress: Keeping an eye on your team’s progress will allow you to gauge how you can improve your team’s productivity individually and as a whole. You will be able to monitor who has extra time in their day to take on more work and who may need a little assistance.
- Implement a weekly debrief: Instead of assuming that everything in your department is running smoothly, take 15 minutes towards the end of the week to review what your team has accomplished and what tasks need more attention.
- Encourage feedback and questions: This is a great way to gain an understanding of how your employees are feeling about coming back to the work that is piled on their desks. Are they overwhelmed? Do they need any suggestions on where to start? This will get them jump started and allow both you and your employee to be more productive.